SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA CHAPTER, SOCIETY FOR THE PRESERVATION AND APPRECIATION OF ANTIQUE MOTOR FIRE APPARATUS IN AMERICA

CFE August 2004 Meeting, Long Beach, CA

On Sunday, August, 29, 2004, over thirty CFE members and guests gathered for our meeting at the Long Beach Firefighter's Museum, located in old fire station #10 and the former LBFD repair shops which were constructed in 1925. The business meeting in the morning covered a number of important topics including the Election Committee's announcement of the nominees for officers for 2005and a report from the Bylaws committee on revising our club bylaws (see announcements on the home page) .

After lunch, members had an opportunity to tour the museum and inspect its collection of historical fire service items. Opened in 1980, the museum is officially named after it's founder as the Herb Bramley Long Beach Fire Department Museum, for the three decades of tireless work Bramley spent bringing the museum from a dream to a reality.

Collections at the museum include an original 1901 hose cart, two life nets, a collection of different kinds of breathing apparatus used over the years by Long Beach FD, alarms, nozzles, hand tools, ladders and an extensive photo collection dating back more than 100 years. Very notable is the museum's large fire helmet and badge collections which were both donated by long-time CFE member Ray Chambers.

The museum has over 14 horse drawn and motorized apparatus, including a 1907 Amoskeag steamer, a 1924 Ahrens Fox pumper, and a 1935 GMC First Aid and Salvage truck which are fully restored. A rare site for west coast museums is the fact that the museum's collection includes four Ahrens Fox Piston pumpers as well as three Mack sedan cabs, all of which originally served the Long Beach FD.

For those unable to attend the meeting, the museum is open the second Saturday of every month from 10-3pm and you can find more information at www.lbfd-museum.org

Thanks to the members of the Long beach FD museum for generously hosting the Crown Firecoach Enthusiasts.

Click on the photos below to see a larger version. Use your back button to return to this page
The Museum is located in a 1925 building which housed old station 10 and the repair shops .
Front in of a 1924 Ahrens Fox piston pumper, fully restored and in running condition.
Raised hood shows the 1924 pumper's 12-cylinder Ahrens Fox engine.
Restored 1935 GMC First Aid and Salvage Squad.
1897 Hugo-Mehr hand pumper, 1890 Rumsey ladder wagon and hand dawn hose cart.
The museum has four Ahrens-Fox Piston pumpers, a 1922, 1924, 1926 and 1929.
In between the CFE members seated for the meeting is a Seagrave ladder truck tractor currently under restoration.
CFE members sat among the museum's rigs during the meeting.
The collection of helmets from around the world was donated by CFE member Ray Chambers.
CFe memebr view the display of old photos, a gong from old LBFD staiton #1, and a badge collection which was donated by CFE member Ray Chambers.
This 1950s-era Mack Sedan-Cab Pumper is awaiting restoration.
This early 1960's Mack sedan cab pumper has just been repainted.