SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA CHAPTER, SOCIETY FOR THE PRESERVATION AND APPRECIATION OF ANTIQUE MOTOR FIRE APPARATUS IN AMERICA
On Sunday, September 5, 2003, twenty-five CFE members and guests gathered for our meeting at Santa Ana Fire Department Station 5, which is also a museum within a working fire station. Our host for the day was CFE member and Santa Ana F.D. Captain, Jim Henery who also generously provided the group with a Mexican lunch following the business meeting. Perhaps the most interesting museum item at the station is the department's nearly- restored 1921 Seagrave pumper, which was the first motorized apparatus in Santa Ana.
After lunch, Capt. Henery told us some of the history of the Santa Ana Fire Department, which has 10 stations serving a very diverse and densely populated city. Santa Ana F.D. has the distinction of being the First Class 1 fire department on the west coast, beating the L.A.F.D. by over a year in winning that recognition. Unlike many departments that have cut staffing and combined companies, Santa Ana runs mostly 4-man engine companies and also has dedicated USAR and HAZ-MAT crews. The department has six paramedic rescue ambulances and is the EMS transport provider for the city. It is also one of the few FDs in Orange County that continues to have its own dedicated fire dispatch office, located on the third floor of station 5.
In 1958, Santa Ana purchased it's first Crown pumper, one of 13 Crown apparatus that would serve the department over the years. Santa Ana still has three Crowns: a 1972 midship aerial truck, and two 1981 widebody pumpers.
Thanks to Jim Henery and the Santa Ana F.D. for generously hosting the Crown Firecoach Enthusiasts and providing lunch.
Click on the photos below to see a larger version. Use your back button to return to this page